Friday 9 September 2011


It’s OPEN HOUSE time –Splendid!


Bexley’s Best Bits go on display - 17th - 18th September
 
Greetings, heritage hunters – what ho!


As you can tell, I always get particularly excited around this time of year

Not just because it’s the season of Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness … and I`m able to pull on my tweed suits, plus fours, and indulge my passion for raking up copious bundles of damp leaf mould, but it’s also OPEN HOUSE time. Yay!

I love poking around in old buildings, don’t you, dear reader? It’s splendid fun!

And this year, in Bexley it’s even better – take a peek!



Keen-eyed Blogfollowers will, doubtless, recognize the illustration at the masthead of this week’s online broadcast? It is, of course, the russet-tiled turret of the west-wing of my own, dear, modestly proportioned shed – (loosely modelled on Bexley’s own architectural gem, the Red House). And that’s set me thinking, dear reader…What other splendid buildings have we to marvel at here in the Borough?

Big or small, grand or humble - architecturally speaking - what are Bexley’s Best Bits?
Have you a favourite? Do tell. Just use the comments thingummy down below.


I look forward to hearing your suggestions – and, as a further inducement to encourage your input, I shall offer the winning contributor a small trowel-full of my own, special leaf mould*



Enjoy Open House, dear readers, and the wonderful legacy of those historic buildings we still have here, because – in the words of my old gardening pal, Joni Mitchell – “Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone”.



TTFN, my old historical house hunters!

* Terms and conditions apply – click HERE for details

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crossness Pumping Station for its ornate ironwork.

Anon.

Blogbrary said...

Oooh, yes – splendid. Crossness is a marvel. I’m fond of a bit of wrought ironwork myself, too.
Nice one.

Anonymous said...

To those of you who may not know it then Lesnes Abbey will be a delightful discovery. The ruins are still surprisingly evocative and the surrounding woods and fields are beautiful. Ideal for picnicking if the weather is fine. Also very lovely in spring when the daffodils are in bloom or in misty weather when one can imagine oneself back in olden times.
Well worth a visit.

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, yes - Lesnes Abbey (or Lessness Abbey...I never know which is the right spelling!) is a hidden gem - I always like looking at, whenever I go past on the bus.

Terri said...

I plan to visit my old Alma Mater this weekend. As part of the Open House scheme I can go in and see the amazing new buildings they have created in the last few years. It's those architecturally interesting structures atttached to Townley Grammar School for Girls.

Blogbrary said...

Townley Grammar?...
The one with the odd-shaped roof, and snazzy new exterior?...
Really?

Hazel said...

how about the Crossness Beam engine, its amazing!

Blogbrary said...

More votes for Crossness - splendid!...
But, Wot-no Hall Place?...

Val said...

I can't decide between Danson House, the Red House or Hall Place! But if I can only pick one I think it would be Danson House as I love the park too and the house was so close to ruin that its salvation is really quite miraculous!

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, Val - wise words.
(As Bruce Forsythe would say: "Keeeeeep Danson!")

ttfn

Rachel said...

Hello Blogbrary,
I think the Red House is definitely going to get my vote for Bexley's best architectural gem. I visited it on a beautiful autumn day last year and it's just the most fascinating place. I think my favourite part was the glass doors inside the house which were used as a visitor book - guests scratched their names onto the glass and I could stand there for hours trying to work out who each signature belongs to. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Crossness every time - really interesting piece of industrial archaeology.

Blogbrary said...

Thanks for the votes…keep ‘em coming.
Ooh! It’s getting rather like the Eurovision Song Contest this, isn’t it?...I see that Crossness is the clear leader, at present…
(Thanks, Rachel re Red House - am rather concerned about the concept of etching your names on glass doors of public buildings, though…should we be endorsing this kind of behaviour?...)

TTFN

Billy said...

I think I would also vote for Lesnes Abbey. I have loved this area since meeting my partner 8 years ago and then moving to the nearby neighbourhood only 3 and a half years ago.
It is great for scenic photo shoots which I discovered during the heavy snow last December.
The flower beds are kept immaculate from Spring to Autumn and the facilities are well maintained.
I have introduced the ruins to numerous family and friends who have been envious of Bexley's green spaces in general.

Blogbrary said...

Many thanks, Billy…More votes for Lesnes.
(Glad to hear, also, that the “facilities are well maintained”…Splendid news)

TTFN

Caroline said...

I have some wonderful childhood memories of Hall Place and the lovely gardens there. I still enjoy a lesiurely stroll around the gardens from time to time, so that gets my vote.
Caroline

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, Caroline - no, you're right...we can't have a 'Bexley's Best Bits' feature without Hall Place!
TTFN