Thursday 15 September 2011

BRONTES ‘R’ US!

Confessions and confusions…



Very well, dear reader…I ”fess up” as young people – apparently – say…




I`m bewildered by these Bronte girls…I get ‘em all mixed up, you know, (Anne, Emily, Charlotte), and can’t remember who was who, or who wrote what


Jane - heir?...


The ten ants of Wildfell Hall?...


Wurthering originals?...


And where does Kate Bush come into it?


And then there’s the new films, it seems? And, apparently, masses of teenage Goth girls (?...) are flocking back to the books, inspired by their sense of wild, doomed romanticism - whatever that may be!…




No, no…it’s all too much for a doddery old cove like me! Give me good, sound Branwell Bronte, any day – that’s the sort of chap whose jib I can admire the cut of (apart from his opium addiction, fondness for intoxicating liquor, romantic "dabbling" and predilection towards lassitude, naturally….)


So, it’s on with m’cape, m’walking cane, and m’mutton-chop whiskers…I’m off to stride the moors


But, if you do want to know more about them there Brontes, dear readers, then you could always click here: …


And, naturally, Bexley Libraries have a cracking cornucopia of Bronte biographies.


Enjoy!






TTFN

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who? Brontay? Carlot? Anemily?
Kite Shrub? Wotare u going on about?

Blogbrary said...

Dear Anonymous…Thank-you for your contributions, I am uncertain as to what they mean, precisely, but I do very much like the name `Kite Shrub`. Splendid!
TTFN

Gibbo said...

What do you call a very old resident of Haworth?

… a Brontesaurus.

(sorry…)

Judith R. said...

In Deutschland in an internet cafe at the moment…I loathe "Wuthering Heights" but can only admit this because I am safely in Germany.
They take you outside and belabour you with brooms made of very scratchy heather if you so much as whisper it in Yorkshire. Then they kill you.

Laura said...

I LOVE W.Heights but can't really get on with J.Eyre, so there

Blogbrary said...

Dear Blog-followers, thanks very much for these…
(I may, actually if truth be told, have been anticipating a few more thoughtful literary insights than just jokes and anecdotes about “scratchy heather” – but they’re very welcome, nonetheless).
TTFN

Anonymous said...

I really can't see the point of stories where everyone wanders around being miserable for 500pages - and then the main characters die. Awfully. What's the point of that then? When do their characters have fun? And do they discover anything - or develop in any way? Maybe they get a bit more miserable - that's about it as far as I can see.

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, “Anonymous”…
Fun, you say? FUN?
This is classic, brooding, emotional, melancholy, serious literature – not fun!
(As my old English teacher used to say – “Life?...we’re not here to enjoy ourselves!” – wise words)
TTFN

"Whotsername" said...

I agree with you about the Bronte's I can never remember which sister wrote which book, could they have been one person? After all were they ever seen together? I'm sorry if I've offended serious Bronte fans but there are just too many of them. I enjoyed Jane Eyre (the book not the film) and also The tenant of Wildfell hall but Vilette is a bit dreary by all accounts, I bought it for my mum for christmas one year, she was not impressed.

Blogbrary said...

Thank-you “Whotshername”…
Sorry to hear that your Mum was disappointed by her gift….
BUT you may have stumbled upon one of the great literary detective `scoops` of all time here…
Were there REALLY three sisters? Or was it just Branwell, in drag?

We need to know.

TTFN

Terri said...

Dear me - I guess it would resolve the confusion if it were just one person.....
I read Jane Eyre at school and so far have read no others. I keep thinking I should read Wuthering Heights - can any one convince me?
Do I remember correctly? Is it Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys that is a "sequel" to Jane Eyre? Has anyone read that?

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, Terri –
Re Wide Sargasso Sea….well, yes, I`ve just checked the catalogue, and it is about the first Mrs Rochester – I never knew that; I always assumed it had something to do with kelp.
So, you live and learn. Thank you, and TTFN

Laura said...

As recorded by Mrs Gaskell, once all 3 girls had been published (Jane Eyre, followed by W Heights & Agnes Gray), Charlotte thought it was time to tell their dad. Thus:



CB: Papa, I've been writing a book.

PB: Have you, my dear?

CB: Yes, and I want you to read it.

PB: I'm afraid it will try my eyes too much.

CB: But it is not in manuscript. It is printed.

PB: My dear! Have you thought of the expense?



Pip pip!

Laura

JR said...

Meanwhile, back in Haworth, the Rev Patrick was a right git, wasn’t he? In this and so many other ways.



JR.