Wednesday 11 January 2012

“Psssssstt!!!! ...
Call the Midwife ...
this one’s going to be BIG”!



Pssssstt!!! – Pass it on:

What-ho, Blog-followers…
Some books get big by word of mouth, don’t you find? They don’t get much mention in the press when they’re first published, they don’t get picked up by Richard & Judy, and they don’t win prizes…




But what they do is get lodged in your mind…you can’t stop reading them…you can’t stop thinking about them…you just have to tell someone about them…
Personal recommendation and enthusiastic word of mouth reviews are what we’re about, and it’s wonderful when others enjoy ‘em too…The Dig, Alone in Berlin, Dark Matter and a Month in the Country are just a few of my own *`Psssstt – pass it on choices`, but the one that ‘s really done the rounds (pardon the pun) and made it big is Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth.
I was first told about this a few years ago at a very posh publishers' soiree (I must’ve been invited by mistake!) by a very grand lady, who looked not dissimilar to my untutored eye to
Barbara Cartland: (I`m fairly certain now that it wasn’t her in fact, as this particular lady told me two of the coarsest jokes I`ve ever heard**).

Anyway, she huskily whispered to me: “Young Man!” (for I suspect her eyesight must have been not of the keenest variety) “If you only read one more book again in your life then you MUST read Call the Midwife. It’s stunning, stupendous and will be one of the biggest books of the decade”. And – by crikey – she was right! It is stunning.

It’s become a real word-of-mouth phenomenon, and everyone I`ve recommended it to thinks it’s stunning too. And now, blow me down, the dear old BBC have heard about it and are going to make it their big
blockbuster drama event of the spring.

So...Psssstttt! Take it from me – this one’s going to be BIG!

Get in quick!
Read it NOW!

TTFN


 
* But I’d like to hear about your own `Pssssttt! Pass it On’ choices., obviously…




** See the Blogbrarian in person for more details.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so agree about your choice of call the midwife; a wonderful emotional book. I read it at just one sitting. Hard to believe that it was all so recent as some of the descriptions of poverty & ignorance were incredible: like scenes from another world.
I shall look forward to seeing the programme: I only hope it will not spoil it for me.
JJ

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, JJ ~ I wonder what you made of the first episode?

General discussions here seem to be favourable, if a bit ‘medical`…Other people have agreed that it seems hard to believe it was all so (relatively) recent…Others have said “OOOh! – I had a pram like that!”.
I enjoyed the programme, too: it was well acted, and well set, but it was far `lighter` and less ‘gritty` than the book, if I remember it correctly.

Anyone else?

Anonymous said...

Conchita was wonderful with all her babies. What a brilliant Mum. There was more about her in the book though I think.

Blogbrary said...

Thanks for this, and yes - you're so right - Conchita's family story in the book was astonishing. Everyone who's read it agrees...a true story, but hard to believe.
Wonderfully written.

Anonymous said...

Hi all.
Can't wait to see Miranda Hart as Chummy. Brilliant casting.Should be great.

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, yes ~ you’re right – Miranda Hart WAS superb as Chummy, in a rather grand and statuesque sort of way…Her learning to ride the bike was splendid, too.

(If you read the book, you’ll find out a lot more about Chummy as well. “Gosh!”)

TTFN