Wednesday 20 October 2010

“Not in front of the servants” or “How to be Posh”…



A Downton Abbey themed guide to ‘Upstairs-Downstairs’ books in Bexley




What-ho, readers!



Now, I like to consider myself a rough-hewn and democratic sort of chap, a “man of the people” unfettered by petty social prejudices and happy to talk about many things, even in front of my servants….Hence my deeply felt enjoyment of ITV’s most recent televisual feast ‘Downton Abbey’; splendid fare!






What do you think, dear reader?
“Well”, as I said to my old pal the Earl of Sidcup only the other day (not that he’s quite as ‘top-drawer’ as he imagines himself to be, entre-nous…) “Why oh why don’t they make more programmes like this these days?”…
"Quite agree, Bloggers old boy…Jugged hare, kedgeree & gentleman’s relish for breakfast, and the swish of the riding crop before lunch!” …
“And as for that formidable Maggie Smith…What a magnificent Librarian she could have become!”...

Anyway, I digress…What fictional fare can we set before you this week? A soupcon of Julian Fellowes, perhaps? (he’s the author-chappie, creator of Downton Abbey…)
A taste of Brideshead Revisited?...
Or a morsel of…The House at Riverton?...

For heartier appetites, however, perhaps non-fiction is more your thing? – we’ve a crackling collection of books on country houses, don’t you know…
How about a hearty dollop of Edwardian England?...
In Bexley, of course, as an ‘amuse-bouche’ one could dip into our own historic houses books, or tootle off in person to Hall Place or Danson House
Having myself recently personally perused Mistress Peachum’s Pleasure, I can confidently vouchsafe that Bexley’s collections of books on the English aristocracy are all “top-hole”…
And, whilst on the subject of recommended reading, despite being an American cove, that Bill Bryson has made himself very much at home over here with a history of his own country pile...

I’m sure that Bexley book lovers will have more ideas?...Your verdict on Downton Abbey?...Anything from our list you’ve enjoyed reading?...Your suggestions for other books to try?...
But, whatever you enjoy reading, do let us know…just don’t tell the servants!
Post your suggestions and thoughts (via the tradesmen’s entrance, naturally) in the comments box below.

Toodlepip.

9 comments:

HH said...

I adore Downton Abbey & am so glad that there is to be a second series. Julian Fellowes writes wonderful books but I understand that it is an original screen play?
A shame as it would be a best selling novel I am certain.

HH

Blogbrary said...

Thank you, and yes – it’s just a screenplay, there’s not a novel of Downton Abbey. But lots of our reading groups have enjoyed Julian Fellowes’ books, particularly ‘Past Imperfect’

Nineteenth century girl said...

For fans of Julian Fellowes, I can also recommend Gosford Park, again starring Maggie Smith on top form...
Incidentally, The House at Riverton is a wonderful book and surely simply perfect for the silver screen? And how about The Forsyte Saga for novels on the aristocracy? (Not sure how many servants feature though!)

Blogbrary said...

Thank you, yes – good suggestions.
And the Forsyte Saga…yes, I’d forgotten about this…Soames, Fleur, Irene, Jolyon etc – certainly worth another look, and all available from Bexley Libraries!

Teri said...

For an interesting mix of fact writtten in a fictional style, try The suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale - murder in a Victorian country house.

Teri

Blogbrary said...

Murder?...
Upstairs or down?...

Anonymous said...

What about Jeeves and Wooster? The ultimate upstairs downstairs combo.

Blogbrary said...

Good point, thank you.
Not sure, though, if Bertie Wooster really thought of Jeeves as being 'Below Stairs'?...
But don't get me started on the world of Wodehouse, or I`ll never stop!

Jenny said...

I spent a lovely week off work watching the new Upstairs Downstairs, catching up on Downton Abbey and reading The House at Riverton (not all at once, I hasten to add) so I finally know what everyone's been on about. Must say I enjoyed all of them very much. Not sure I can wait another nine months for the next series of Downton. As an obsessive textiles enthusiast, I have to mention the gorgeous costumes. They nearly distracted me from the actual story line.