Monday 11 October 2010










E.M. Forster: questions, questions, questions…



And a few answers?

Questions, questions, questions…



Where do angels fear to tread?
What was Howard’s End?
How do I find a room with a view?
Do I need to reserve a passage to India?
What’s up with Maurice?
And, obviously, why the hat?...


The Bexley Library Reading Group have recently been looking at E.M. Forster’s books, and – I understand – the verdict was a thumbs up!
But what more do we know about Forster, a most self-effacing man? He himself said “I am quite sure I am not a great novelist”, but history suggests otherwise…

One of the great mysteries of his long life (he died in 1970 aged 90) is why, after the publication of ‘A Passage to India’ in 1924, he never saw another novel published in his own lifetime…Would society have been scandalized by his book ‘Maurice’, which was only published after his death?...
And why was he so melancholy?...His life was full, and rewarding – he was a popular broadcaster, a leading intellectual, and an influential essayist. Today, Forster is being championed as a principled advocate for quiet tolerance, individual humanity, democracy and personal liberty, and the filmed adaptations of his books have achieved worldwide fame…
So why isn’t he better known? What’s missing? Why was he wrongly christened? What was he like?...Might I suggest you try a biography?...
Only connect” – a phrase he coined – read, and find out…


Above all, if you’ve enjoyed any of Forster’s books, then do tell us and other readers…Use the comments box, and pass it on.

"Do you have a view?"...

TTFN

9 comments:

Rachel said...

A Room with a View is an absolute favourite of mine - I've lost count of the number of times I've re-read it, it seems to be one of those books where the reader can always find something they didn't notice before.
The film adaptation with Helena Bonham Carter & Maggie Smith is also fantastic...

Blogbrary said...

Rachel's right!
A Room with a View is one of those rare titles that can be read again, and again, and again...

And as for Simon Callow as the Reverend Beebe in the film...

Sharon said...

I must read some more EM Forster. I was put off by studying A Passage to India in endless, tedious detail for my degree. That really killed my enjoyment of it! A biography, though - will definitely look into that. I'm reading about Mary Renault at the moment (and realising how little I knew about her).

Blogbrary said...

Yes, it’s always illuminating to read about a novelist whose books you enjoy…
So, you might want to look out for a forthcoming biography by Wendy Moffat:E.M. Forster-A New Life…we’ve got a copy on order, and – excitingly – the front cover of it has a photograph of our hero, again wearing a rather dashing hat…

Teri said...

Well, there now - I enjoyed A Passage to India - the book and the film - but I was never exactly sure what to connect!

Teri

HH said...

I am so pleased that you are championing E.M. Forster. Such an underrated writer, I LOVE his books, everyone should try them. And it is true that he is someone whose books can be read over and over again.
HH

Blogbrary said...

I’m so glad that you’ve all enjoyed these novels…Don’t forget that E.M. Forster wrote essays, too – try Abinger Harvest (it’s available at Bexleyheath Central Library) and the blurb says it covers subjects as diverse as the idea of liberty, chess, life in India, and Mickey Mouse!...

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that reading A Room with a View would be a laugh a minute.
It's a shame the film concentrated on the romance and didn't showcase the humour.
In particular, page 1 of chapter 2 had me in stitches.

Blogbrary said...

Humour? Thanks for the tip, I`ll have to check...
Anyone else in stitches?