Wednesday 30 May 2012

Don’t be a Silly Billy! Take the pledge!



Share 20 books!! You know it makes sense!!!



Hello, dear readers…Are you sitting comfortably?


Shall I tell you a story?...Yes?...Then we’ll begin…


Well now…According to family folklore, many years ago in a faraway time, my Granddad Billy “took the pledge” and foreswore never to touch intoxicating liquor during his lifetime… (I think he became obsessed by fishing instead, much to my Grandma Bertha’s quiet indignation) …






Anyway, if only he’d been around today, he could have taken an altogether different, more rewarding, and life-affirming decision: he could have taken the Bookstart Bear’s 20th birthday book pledge instead.


And if he’d had a computer, he could have clicked here to learn all about it:


And then, he could have taken the simple step of promising to share just 20 books in 2012…


And then he needn’t have spent his entire life just aimlessly dangling a bit of wet string with a worm on the end of a hook in those cold, dark , stinky, murky canals…Urgghhh!


And he would have discovered a whole new world of books, and words, and stories…Hooray!


And he might even have enjoyed the occasional small glass of milk-stout, or cream sherry…


And the dangling worm would have remained warm, and dry, and snug, and undisturbed and altogether comfy…Aaahhh.


And Grandma Bertha and all the family would have lived happily ever after.






So, dear Blog-followers…


Take a lesson from the Blogbrarian’s tragic family tree – don’t be a Silly Billy…


Read books, share books, love books…and take the pledge NOW!


Will you?


Could you?


What’s stopping you?...


Go on…You know it makes sense…And tell us all about it, too; just use the comments thingummy at the end here…


TTFN

15 comments:

Terri said...

I'm going to take the pledge with one of those nice little postcards that the libraries have, with a bookmark attached for you to keep. I'm sure I can persuade my husband to do one as well.

Blogbrary said...

Well, dear readers – I`ve done it, “signed the pledge”, and it didn’t hurt a bit!
And I`m delighted to say that lots of other readers have done, too…
I`ll add their pledge comments here too, so why not add your as well?

TTFN

Samantha said...

My children and I love books and we read books every night. Bookstart helped my children to enjoy reading

Samantha

Edna said...

An excellent opportunity to encourage reading from a very early age.

Anonymous said...

Books are an important part of a child’s development, we love coming to the library and getting books out each week. We like getting the packs from Bookstart. The books are great.

Sarah

Amber said...

It was good to receive the Bookstart packs. It was good to go online to view recommended books

Sally said...

Both my children love reading and looking at books and Bookstart has some lovely books. We look at t least 2 books an evening.

Anonymous said...

Because my son loves to read and it gives him an incentive to get a book out.

Kelly

Keeley said...

It encourages children’s interest in reading – an invaluable skill.

Simon said...

I like the idea of promoting books and enjoyment of reading. My children love their books and they are a path through to learning.

Eva said...

Sharing and books: is there anything more important?

Charlie said...

I like Exploring different stories

Freya said...

Helps language and literacy, enjoyment in sharing

Kate said...

We are regular library goers and Bookstart makes it a fun way for my daughters to get ‘recognition’ for all the books that they read. They also enjoy showing the certificates to friends.

Dylan said...

The children love rewards and its an excellent way to introduce children to books.