Friday 27 April 2012

“DAHN TO MARGATE”…
The Blogbrarian goes “Dahn to Margate” with Thomas the Tank Engine, Chas and Dave,
and JMW Turner…

  If, like me – dear reader – you consider that Messrs Chas and Dave’s popular rendition of `Dahn to Margate` to be one of the finest, sweetest and most perfectly crafted libretti in the pantheon of English music…






If, like me –gentle reader – you enjoy the gentle, mesmeric throb of the train as it trundles through the fecund heart of our beloved Kent, the Garden of England…






And if, like me – wise reader – you enjoy tootling around an art gallery stuffed to the gills with – to my untutored eye – a hatful of top-notch landscape paintings, then you could very well do worse, far worse, than to pop along to the “Turner Contemporary” in lovely old Margate.


The Gallery, you see, is free…It’s fascinating…And it’s fun! (And, apart from good old public libraries, where else can you say that about, eh?...)






Old JMW, he seemed like an interesting chappie (although his pictures are a bit what we cognoscenti in the art world like to call “a bit splashy-splashy”), so I`ll certainly be checking out a few of the excellent Turner tomes in stock…


You never know, I might even turn up some turps, bring out me brushes, and have a daub myself! (We’ve got books on that, too)…






So, take a tip from the old Blogbrarian…get yourselves “dahn to Margate”…stroll along the bracing briny shoreline, singing "Oh I do like to be beside the seaside"…and take a butcher’s at The Turner…but hurry, dear readers…this exhibition ends soon!






TTFN, art fans…TTFN!







 

2 comments:

Terri said...

Ok then - let us into the mystery - what does Thomas the Tank Engine have to do with Margate?
Will he be part of the revamped Dreamland? Or offering rides along the prom?

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, Terri ~

Alas, there is no secret mystery re Thomas the tank Engine…It was, I fear, merely an indulgent whim on my part: attempting to conjure up my idea of the perfect day, I felt unable tom exclude either the mighty Chas and Dave and the venerable Thomas the tank.
My apologies for any misunderstandings, but – as you can see – I am a chap of simple tastes…

TTFN