Monday 21 November 2011

Polar scares?...


Northern frights?...

Snowy howls?...


This is a Dark Matter



What-ho, Blogfollowers!



Now, I’m not a chap lightly frightened…Firm of jaw, and resolute of purpose, not easily scared; stiff of sinew, bold in the bone and sanguine in spirit, I`m a 'rufty-tufty' Librarian of the Old School


In my time, I’ve fearlessly catalogued rare books without regard to AACR2 or Dewey guidelines (and all without safety gloves!)…


I’ve wheeled an un-oiled trolley across a wooden library floor, heedless of the murderous glare of any readers…


Why! I’ve even faced down and read nursery rhymes to a baying horde of toddlers!






But, dear readers, I have just been made afraid.


Very afraid…


Very afraid indeed, and it’s all because of a book that I`ve just read…


I’m not usually a fan of horror stories, but this one was thrust upon me by members of the Erith Library Reading Group (not an organization to trifle with, I assure you…)


And the book in question?


Dark Matter by Michelle Paver


Here’s the blub: January 1937. 28-year-old Jack is poor, lonely and desperate to change his life. So when he's offered the chance to join an Arctic expedition to Spitsbergen, he jumps at it. After they reach the remote, uninhabited bay where they will camp for the next year, Gruhuken, Jack feels a creeping unease. One by one, his companions are forced to leave..






Gulp.






Now here’s a diversionary thought…


Why is it that horror has cold connotations? Frozen with fear?... Blood running cold?…Shivers down the spine?... Chillers?… Cold terror?... Not to mention Scaring the pants off anyone… (not a good idea, naturally, in the polar regions or the high latitudes) …






But I digress, dear readers. This is a wonderful book. Try it. But be warned…(And stay warm!)






TTFN

15 comments:

Paul said...

I went to Buckingham Palace
to see the exhibition of photos from the Scott and Shackleton
Antarctic expeditions. Starkly beautiful, but, sadly, very deadly
cold.

Lisa said...

A recommendation for the blog; The woman in black by Susan Hill, very atmospheric and chilling... and at this time of year I have to mention Charles Dickens A christmas carol.
Lisa

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, both…
Yes, Paul – that Antarctic photo exhibition does look really good.
(Has anyone seen the exhibition at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich?)
And isn’t the BBC’s Frozen Planet brilliant!

Lisa – yes, good suggestions. (I think Michelle Paver recommends the Susan Hill book, too)

TTFN

Dartford Library's ghosts said...

Dartford Library featured on Most Haunted a few years back......

Blogbrary said...

Thank-you, ‘Dartford Library Ghost’…
This is the first time, I believe, that we have received a correspondence from a ghost. Or, for that matter, from Dartford.
Splendid!
TTFN

Hania said...

There was a library in Bexley which had it's own ghost. The library has since moved to a new location but I'm told if you hang around the old building, you can hear the rustle of pages being turned and a ghostly "shhhh".

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, Hania...
A haunted library in Bexley?...More details, please?
(Am now worried about the phantom rustling of pages etc etc...)

TTFN

Hania said...

I couldn't possiBLy divulge the location of the old library as it might become overrun with ghost hunters. Charlie the ghost may be spooked out of his own home.

Blogbrary said...

Aha! Thank you, Hania…
I think I may have cracked the ghostly code – ‘nefkcalB yrarbiL’ eh? Who’d have thought it?...
Spooky indeed.

TTFN

Val said...

I'm half way through Dark Matter on your recommendation Blogbrary and have left a lamp on a timer today so house won't be in darkness when I get home ! I blame you entirely!
And yes isn't Frozen Planet wonderful! I just wish there was a bit more warning of the horrors to come when cute fluffy artic creatures start to turn upon each other....

Blogbrary said...

Thank you, Val ~
I would point that The Blogbrarian can IN NO WAY BE HELD RESPONSIBLE for any terrors, fears, or nightmares incurred by the reading of this book.
You read Dark Matter ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
(It is good, though, isn’t it?)…

Toodlepip

Rachel said...

Hello all,
I'm afraid I'm not really one for ghostly goings on - although as a 15-year-old I went with my school drama class to see 'The Woman in Black' at the theatre. Never have I been so terrified - I actually screamed in the theatre, and I wasn't the only one. Needless to say I had to sleep with the light on for a week afterwards and have never read the book!

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, Rachel ~

Screaming in the theatre is fine, but NOT to be condoned in a library environment…
By the way, `The Woman in Black` is one of the books that Michelle Paver recommends as one of her inspirations, along with the ghost stories of MR James…

But try `Dark Matter`…it’s chillingly good.

Cathy said...

Absolutely brilliant, I loved it!
It was full of suspense, and so good that I`ve bought a copy for my brother this Christmas – let’s hope it scares him too!
Cathy

Terri said...

Years ago I saw "I'll be back before midnight" [a thriller by Peter Colley] at the Edward Alderton Theatre. An excellent production which left me unable to be alone in our own garden after dark for quite some time!