Thursday 19 May 2011

LADY Gaga, great writers, and their sheds: how I taught them all they know...A Blogbrary special!

Two hot news items have appeared of late in the exciting world of Libraries...
1) A colleague has just taken up ownership of his first shed (always a significant moment in a young chap's moral & spiritual development)
AND...
2) My old pal Lady Gaga has - this very week - announced that "I live halfway between reality and fantasy at all times...in that way I am a Librarian". Splendid girl, I tutored her in the finer arts of cataloguing and fashion, you know...

Regular followers of the Blogbrary will know that, along with my admiration for the work of this popular American chanteuse, I am also something of a 'shed buff', and - in my own modest way - I like to think that I have, in days gone by, helped to nurture the careers of some of the world's finest shed-based writers...

Well, as my old pal Virginia Woolf confided to me back in in 1929 "a busy household full of visitors, children, and other distractions is simply no place for a writer"...So, off she tootled to her writing shed, her "Room of one's own" as I described it at the time.

Naturally, being a shed-dweller himself, the Blogbrarian has always been keen to promote the delights of outdoor writing to other fellow pen-men (and dear, dear Virginia). Indeed, I like to imagine that I was, in no small measure, responsible for my old pal Charles Dickens' late burst of creative endeavour once he'd moved into his 'Swiss-style chalet' down the road at Gad's Hill. (Do you know, dear readers, you can still see it on view today in Rochester High Street...it's what we in the trade call a "wooden whopper", and - I confess - made me a tad envious).

George Bernard Shaw had a beauty, a wonderful wooden octagonal summerhouse in his grounds..."Why not build a revolving version, Bernie old pip?" said I one time "then it could follow the passing track of the sun".
"Capital idea, Bloggers old boy" he said "it shall be done!"

Old Roald Dahl's garden hut was a little small for my liking (and, if truth be told, somewhat spartan), but it seemed to do the trick.
Dear Dylan Thomas, of course, had his 'wordsplashed hut' (what times we had there!!!)...His boathouse, was originally built I seem to recall, in the early 1920s to house a rather splendid old Wolseley motor automobile. Poop poop!

Mark Twain (sound fellow) had his sister build a shed for him to write in, and soon his 'cosy nest' was alive with the sound of quill pen scraping parchment.
And dear, dear old Henry Thoreau - and his Walden - was widely considered by us in the know as the shed writer's writer par excellence.
Sound chaps, all...Not forgetting poor Virginia, of course. And my old pal, Lady Gaga.

Well, right-ho! That's it. (Do let me know if you have any comments, of course). It's off to work for me now, and on with my exquisitely cut meat-jacket and tie.
"Uh ra, uh ra ra!" as we so often say in the Senior Librarians Common Room.

Toodlepip.











19 comments:

Sharon E said...

I love Lady Gaga's quote - halfway between reality and fantasy sounds like a good place to be!

I saw her on Graham Norton's show the other day - she came across as very sweet and funny.

I'm afraid the shed thing passes me by completely - are there any women out there who are shed-obsessed (or are we just happy to banish our men down to the bottom of the garden at every opportunity?)

Anonymous said...

It's far too easy to underestimate the contribution that the famous in one field can make to our thinking in another, Eminem is one; his modern poetry in the form of rap is brilliant. My personal favourite however is Groucho Marx. One of his shrewdly observed thoughts is, " Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." True, True

Blogbrary said...

Ah, Eminem…Yes, I like him too (although he does swear a lot, doesn’t he?, and Librarians NEVER, EVER use profane language, do we?...Is he ready for a shed?...)
Now Groucho, I expect he HAD a shed?...

CJ said...

I had a real chuckle at the thought of the Blogbrarian and Lady Gaga in a shed discussing fashion and the "finer arts of cataloguing".

I agree with Sharon E - I'm happy to banish men to the bottom of the garden. However, my 'shed'is my attic. You'll often find me there with my lovely stash of books(but that's another story!)

Blogbrary said...

Well now, CJ…I think the world needs to know: what books have you got in your stash?...

JEC said...

The secret of a happy marriage is that a man is in possesion of at least one shed....if only because it acts as a half-way house when it comes to trying to chuck things out...NOOOO! he says I cannot part with my 1972 Lutin shirt....well it must live in the shed then along with the gardening slippers and significant empty beer bottles

Sharon E said...

Hi CJ

An attic sounds much nicer than a shed...

Anonymous said...

Historian Anthony Beevor writes in a giant shed in Kent. (It was in the paper this week).

Rachel said...

Hello Blogbrarian,
How right you are about men and their sheds! Within 10 minutes of arriving at a barbeque this weekend the men folk were comparing mobile technology and uttering sentences along the lines of 'of course, our next house will have a garden and the first thing I'll be buying is a shed' - met with nods and murmurs of approval from the assembled men in the party!

Blogbrary said...

Well, dear chums ~ this is all very gratifying, on 3 counts:…
* It seems that sheds (and books) are the secret to a happy, fulfilled and rewarding life.

* It seems that the Blogbrary has solved the riddle of the ‘gender divide’ (and, Rachel, I do like your phrase “Dear Blogbrarian, how right you are”).

* It seems that Anthony Beevor works in a shed – (or should that be a lodge?)

TTFN

Terri said...

A word for ladies and their sheds - Virginia was not alone in escaping to a wooden structure. The Secret Garden was inspired by the garden in Great Maytham Hall, Rolvenden, Kent and Frances Hodgson Burnett wrote many of her books in the wooden gazebo in the garden, reportedly always clothed in a white dress and large hat.
Now there's a thought ladies - shall we take over the sheds?

Blogbrary said...

What?!!!
Women taking over our sheds?...
I shudder to think of the consequences...Where will it all end?
I may have to lie down very soon, with a damp flannel on my brow, a soothing book of poems to read, and a gramophone selection of Lady Gaga’s greatest hits…Any suggestions?

I`m just going outside now…I may be some time.
TTFN

fred said...

Could a female shed said to be a greenhouse?

Anonymous said...

I read the latest offering by the Blogbarian. Is Henry Thoreau's Walden really boring because if it is not then I would maybe like to read it.
G

Blogbrary said...

Thank you, G…
Thoreau –boring?...Well, I couldn’t comment about the literary merits of one of America’s greatest nineteenth century writers (although I know that Lady Gaga is a devotee)…Why not try read some to find out? We’ve got some available to request, I think.

And, Fred – thank you. For once, I don’t know what to say…Any offers, anyone?...

Janice said...

I wonder if Lady Gaga has a shed. In my experience, sheds (and greenhouses) are definitely male territory. Everytime I go into ours to find something (difficult at the best of times), I'm asked 'what are you doing?' in a very accusatory manner. All in all I'd rather sit in the sun with Alan Titchmarsh.

Blogbrary said...

Alan Titchmarsh?...
ALAN TITCHMARSH???!!!
Are you sure? (His novels, I understand, are a little `raunchy`, no?....)

Yes, I can conform that Lady Gaga does have a shed, it’s made of meat, and full of unused catalogue cards, ready for her retirement project (AACR2, naturally).

TTFN

Anonymous said...

halfway between reality and fantasy?

Blogbrary said...

Thank-you, `Anonymous`…
“Half way between fantasy and reality”?...Well, I can confidently reassure you that we here in Bexley Libraries are very firmly wedded t the latter concept.
TTFN