Thursday 17 March 2011


Japan in Crisis…A Fragile Earth...

A serious blog, this week, as befits these serious times…

All things have second birth
The Earthquake is not satisfied at once”…
And how right he was, as we now see the terrible series of consequences resulting from this earthquake.

We’ve all been dumbfounded, I`m sure, by the recent series of catastrophes endured by Japan. And, I`m equally sure, we’ve all been impressed by the dignity, quiet stoicism and resolve of the Japanese people.

It struck me, too, about how little we actually know about the real Japan, either in fact or in fiction. And how fragile earth is, and our hold upon it.

I wonder what you think?...

6 comments:

j said...

all seems a bit unreal at the mo, doesn't it...?

J

Anonymous said...

My son is married to a japanese girl, Nami . They live in England now but he spent 2 years teaching in japan and had my first grand child Hana in Japan . I have a grand son now Seizou who is 9 months. We have visited japan 4 times and we hope to go in 2 weeks time with my son and his family if we are allowed to go.
I feel I know a little about the japanese people , they are a disciplined, hard working and very proud people. They do not show their feelings easily but are very family orientated. They will not give up easily and will work tirelessly to get everything back to normal. My heart goes out to them at this time.

Blogbrary said...

Thanks for these comments, they’re really interesting, particularly your views on Japanese culture & resolve – glad that you’ve identified a few positive crumbs of comfort.
(I hope that your proposed trip goes well)

Jane said...

I read your fascinating article this morning whilst listening to a Radio 4 piece on Japan. A charming, brave and erudite Japanese girl was discussing much the same points that you raise; in particular she spoke of the support that her Shinto faith gave her, and her people.
How true it is that we are so tiny in the face of nature’s awesome powers. Also that to my generation, with wartime memories so ingrained into us, the realization that the Japanese are such admirable people has been revelatory. It has also made us question how we in Great Britain would cope if faced with similar disasters; not well I dare say.
Jane

Terri said...

Perhaps the Japanese reputation for being inscrutable explains why we know so little about them - although I'm sure we all feel we know more now and have an increased respect for them as we watch how they are reacting to these disasters.

Terri said...

For an insight into Japanese culture - see the programme for Bexley's Anime and Manga Festival on Bex-L