Wednesday 5 January 2011

On the buses? With books from Bexley Libraries, the world’s your oyster…






On the buses?
With books from Bexley Libraries, the world’s your oyster




QUOTE:
“People who want to understand democracy should spend less time in the library with Aristotle and more time on the buses…”
Simeon Strunsky

I saw this well known quotation just lately, and it set me thinking about books & buses and all manner of other things…Well, obviously I wouldn’t want any of you to spend less time in libraries, (nor cease your tireless research into the intricacies of Aristotelian philosophy), but perhaps you may be able to help?...

During the recent spell of inclement weather, many of you may have been experiencing bus travel, possibly for the first time in quite a while…

Now, being of an inquisitive bent, and constantly striving to discover more about the charabanc-based reading habits of Bexley’s citizens, your Blogbrarian is regularly to be found peeking at other peoples’ onboard books. I know that’s annoying, but – trust me – I`m a Librarian, and am embarked upon a vital quest: to discover exactly what are people reading on Bexley’s buses.

And what is Bexley’s most `bookish` bus route?... I`m reliably (?) informed that the B12 is where you’ll find the most interesting book choices, the most glamorous jackets, the most raffish readers…
What do you reckon?
Any offers elsewhere?
What’s the best route for reading?
The strangely alluring romance of the 132?...
The brooding, Brontean borrowers on the 401?...
Or the exuberant literary chatter aboard the 229?...

The plucky little B11?
The occasionally lively 89?
The tightly run 269?

(I`m usually a `96’ chap myself, dabbling occasionally with the odd 492 or sometimes to be found lurking on a 428…But that’s more than enough detail, as the Blogbrarian needs to keep his identity secret as Bexley’s “Mystery Man of Travel & Adventure”…)

So, your spying mission, dear readers – should you choose to accept it:
* Please help our research team on this Bexley bus bibliography~ take a sly glimpse, then let us know what your fellow passengers are reading (within reason)…
* Tell us which bus route is best for books…
* What can you recommend to fellow travellers?...

* Let me know if you see anyone reading Aristotle…
* And can anyone think of any more books about buses?...

Post your ideas & observations in the usual way, using the `comments` box below…

All aboard, hold very tight now!

TTFN

18 comments:

Blogbrary said...

Books on buses….
Well, here’s an interesting first haul from today’s mission…Unusually, I risked the 51 bus this morning, and saw someone reading Clive Cussler’s `Sacred Stone` (It’s about a meteorite with special powers, apparently…) and TWO people reading science text books. (At least I think it was a science book, it had lots of numbers, graphs & squiggly bits).
Most of the remainder on board seemed intent on vigorously jabbing small hand-held electronic devices with their thumbs…What on earth’s that all about?...

TTFN

SharonE said...

'On the buses' - I assumed we'd be chatting about Olive and her pickled onions from the days when the whole family gathered to watch 'classic' comedy...

Not being a regular bus user, I won't be much use on this mission.

But speaking of comedy, I'm reading Stephen Fry's The Stars' Tennis Balls. The cover and author led me to think it was comedy but I couldn't have been more wrong. Deeply disturbing! (the book, not me being wrong...)

Janice said...

I'm prepared to accept the mission, but do I have to confine myself to buses? I'm more of a train person...

I've seen people with their devices and like to think they downloaded an e-Book from our wonderful selection.

Blogbrary said...

Reg Varney & Stephen Fry…Now, there’s a combination!

Yes, I too fondly remember `On the Buses…Blakey yelling “I `ate you, Butler”, and his splendid moustache. And yet, and yet…I have no recollection of Olive’s pickled onions…Can any other reader verify this sighting?

TTFN

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, Janice.
OK ~ train spottings will be acceptable too.
I look forward to receiving your observations.
TTFN

Anonymous said...

I associate buses with Chocolate - Double Decker yummy!
Did you know? Reg Varney was the first person ever to use a cash machine.
As I avoid public transport at all costs I can't comment on what passengers read.

Blogbrary said...

Dear Anonymous ~
Thanks for this chocolate-themed contribution…
What would you make of a bendy bus? A Curly Wurly?...

Thanks too for the Reg Varney fact…Not a lot of people know that, but they do now!

TTFN

Sharon said...

A bit of sneaky spying. Chatting to my son while driving him to work this morning - he'll be reading Animal Farm on the bus on the way home.

Pete L said...

I can verify that Olive definitely used to eat pickled onions in On The Buses as this small script extract will confirm

OLIVE: Ooh, this baby's kicking me.

ARTHUR: He's probably playing football with
all them pickled onions you've been eating.

Anonymous said...

I have tried reading on the 229 bus route from Thamesmead to Bexleyheath via Erith but there are too many bends.
Should be easier to listen to a talking book apart from the distraction from constant passenger notifications.

Blogbrary said...

Dear Correspondents,
Well, thank you all for a varied & stimulating crop of replies. Thank you, too, for the Olive & pickled onion update…
Re bends & buses, yes – I`d not thought of that before…I know that a lot of people can’t read on buses as it makes them seasick!

Re updates from local bus routes – not much to report recently, I`m afraid. I saw an AS revise psychology textbook being read rapidly on the 428, but that was in Dartford, so may not count. I’ve also seen a very glossy magazine in Polish (what’s Polish for `Hello`?) and a self-help guide on the 89. Otherwise, everyone else seems to be staring out of the window at the rain, jabbing at devices with their thumbs, or sitting there with wire protruding from their ears.
Still, the investigation goes on – please continue to report back.

TTFN

Terri said...

Not that we actually read the book on the bus - but many years ago we based a family holiday on a storybook I had and had to use the bus and train to follow the routes. It was called The Tyrant King : a London Adventure by Aylmer Hall and it was a London Transport publication. It was the usual children turn detective type story and they had to visit many London attractions in their quest.

Blogbrary said...

Thanks, Terri ~
Not heard of this book, I`m afraid…But it did make me think of Emil and the Detectives, one of my early favourites…wasn’t that set on a bus? Or was it a train?...

Mary said...

Why I can't read on the B11 bus
The driver with the "how hard can I brake" challenge
The teenager kindly sharing their music
The couple on the back seat sharing moments of their weekend
The old lady telling you about her sister dying(for the 6th time)
The pushchair handle in your ribs
One to look out for on the 469.. the lady with the cat carrier and the incontinent cat!
Oh happy days..too busy avoiding the above to see what they are reading
Mary

Blogbrary said...

Mary,
I feel your pain…(How about listening to an e-book to drown out the background noise and raise your spirits?...)

As for recent reading reports…2 very damp newspapers on the 96 this morning, and an unidentified `chick lit’ on the 428 . Otherwise, it’s all thumb-jabbing, still…
Anyone else with sightings?...

TTFN

Blogbrary said...

Not bus related, but locomotive-linked…Someone has suggested to me that Gyles Brandreth’s “Something sensational to read on the train” might tickle your fancy?...
Why not look it up on the catalogue, and discover Gyles’ middle name, too?...Rather splendid, what?...

TTFN

Rachel said...

As an irregular bus user, I don't get to participate in the book spotting game as often as I'd like. However, after travelling twice on the bus yesterday I'm disappointed to report having seen no book readers! I did however see an enthusiatic Nintendo DS user completing crosswords!

Blogbrary said...

Dear Correspondents…
Thank you all for your comments.
A few more reported sightings before we finish…”Supernatural Romance encountered on the 492” sounds intriguing.
The Daily Star appears to contain a good deal of text concerning a certain Katie Price…(Don’t forget, readers, Bexley Libraries have BOOKS about her, too)…Otherwise, it does appear that electronic devices do seem to hold the upper hand on the upper decks…

TTFN