Wednesday 3 November 2010

ROGUE MALE WANTED...








Seeking Adventure?...Bexley Librarian seeks Rogue Male for thrills, adventure, and maybe more…

No, no, dear reader…it’s not what you think!


Let me begin at the very beginning (”a very good place to start” as Julie Andrews once so wisely said); not long ago, someone asked me to recommend a really good old-fashioned thriller. Naturally, my thoughts spun immediately to – in my humble opinion – the greatest adventure yarn ever written…
Rogue Male!” I enthusiastically bellowed (much to the consternation of the assembled multitudes in the library…one or two even looked up, expectantly…)

Now, I`m going to let you into another little secret – not only is this THE classic British thriller of the `stiff upper lip` era, it’s now become something of a rarity in our libraries…Imagine my unconfined joy, therefore, when we discovered that Bexley Libraries still held one precious copy, stored in its sturdy ancient vaults…
Much as Howard Carter must have felt when unearthing the tomb of Tutankhamen - “I can see wonderful things” – upon rediscovering this long forgotten classic tome for myself I was instantly transported back to an age of tweed suits, pipe smoke, damp Labradors and leather arm patches. Splendid stuff! They don’t write `em like this any more….

And, should this type of yarn strike a chord with you, dear readers, then how about some of the following `old school` authors?...
Thrill! at the high jinx of Erskine Childers
Gasp! at the audacity of John Dickson Carr
Tremble! At the cut`n`thrust of John Buchan
Swoon! at the square jawed Sapper

And, while we’re at it, why not hunt down books by Dorothy L Sayers or Margery Allingham? (Has it ever struck you how few authors are called `Dorothy` or `Margery` these days?...Not enough, I dare say).

Anyway, must dash – I’ve a Rogue Male to track down, unless you beat me to it…

Meanwhile, if you can suggest any other books of a similar ilk, please do let us know…Use the comments box below.

TTFN

14 comments:

Judith R. said...

Actually, Blogbrarian, I think you're wrong. "Rogue Male" is great, I agree, but for sheer spine-tingling terror "Treasure Island" beats it hands down. It first tingled my spine when I was about 9 or 10, and I still get a shiver when I think about Blind Pew tap-tapping his way into the Admiral Benbow Inn.

Blogbrary said...

Thank-you, even though you quite startled me with your opening shot!
Well, I must “fess up” (as I believe the younger element in our libraries might say) but I’ve never read Treasure Island…Does it feature Labradors? Or tweed?
I shall add it to my list.

Sharon said...

I'm a huge fan of the Patrick O'Brian series. The nautical details go completely over my head but that doesn't matter because the characters - Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin - are so beautifully written. And played superbly by Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany (swoon) in Master and Commander.

I zipped through the first 16 in the series. Four more to go - once I finish them I'm going right back to the start.

Oh, and I only discovered this series because my Reading Group decided to read 'books for men'!

Judith R. said...

Oh, Bloggers old chap, what a woeful admission! No tweed or Labradors alas, but a one-legged criminal type, a feisty parrot ("pieces of eight, pieces of eight"), a ship named the Hispaniola - what else could a thrill-seeking blogperson possibly need?

Blogbrary said...

Thanks for these book ideas - nautical but nice.

In fact, they've given me an idea for a future topic...Sea dogs, naval yarns, wooden walls etc.
Splice the mainbrace!

Anonymous said...

Douglas Robert Jardine, Englands greatest ever cricket captain was considered by many as a rogue for his controversial bodyline tactics, mainly directed at Donald Bradman on the 1932-33 Ashes tour of Australia. To me though, he was a true hero, a patriot and a legend. Can the Blograrian recommend a book that tells us about this historic tour?

Blogbrary said...

Dear Anonymous ~
Aha! You’ve hit upon something here, I wasn’t expecting real-life heroes from the ‘stiff-upper lip’ era, so this is a valuable diversion..
Might I recommend ‘Bodyline Autopsy’ by David Frith?

And, to let you into a little secret…The Blogbrarian is planning an Ashes ‘bumper’ special, so – as they say – watch this space.

Thanks again,
TTFN

Anonymous said...

Hi - old fashioned thrillers - Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier?

Blogbrary said...

Splendid!
We shall add Daphne to the ranks.
TTFN

Tutenkhamun said...

WOT, NO ELIZABETH PETERS?

Blogbrary said...

Dear Tutankhamen, (and that’s not a phrase I ever imagined myself having to write on the Blog)…
Thank you for your suggestion. You’re right, I don’t know much about Elizabeth Peters’ books (crime and Egyptian archaeology, I think?) but I will certainly take a look.

Thank you again. Hope you’re keeping well,
TTFN

Anonymous said...

I would wish to nominate the Flashman novels of G.M. Fraser for your listing.

Anonymous said...

At the mention of John Buchan, my pulse started a-racing. Ah, Richard Hannay, an adventuresome but jolly decent sort, surely every young woman's dream. But why oh why has there never been an adaptation made that is faithful to the book? All this nonsense about getting handcuffed to a lady is so unnecessary. The book is full of thills and excitement, and loses nothing from the omission of a romance.

Blogbrary said...

Dear both ~
Thanks for all these suggestions and discussions…
Yes, the George MacDonald Fraser books featuring Harry Flashman certainly fit the bill – although written fairly recently they’re certainly old-style adventure yarns, not for the faint-hearted…

And as for John Buchan’s ‘Thirty Nine Steps’…was the old Robert Donat film version not true to the book?...
However, as far as the handcuffing debate is concerned, well… I fear that must be beyond the remit of the Blogbrarian on this occasion…

TTFN