Wednesday 28 July 2010

Holmes for all?








Imagine, if you will, dear reader, my surprise (nay, dismay) upon viewing the new BBC television adaptation of my “boon favourite”, Mr Sherlock Holmes…

Anticipating (not unnaturally, I am sure you would agree) that we were about to be thrillingly entertained with visions of our tweed-clad hero emerging from a London “pea-souper”, I had prepared myself accordingly for an evening of wholesome sleuthing: my meerschaum pipe was smouldering agreeably, I had buffed up my magnifying-glass to a fine sheen, and donned my trusty deerstalker, tying the flaps neatly & tightly beneath my chin…
Yet lo and behold! What were we presented with? A “post-modern” Holmes with a mobile telephonic device, A “Doctor Watson” devoid of any moustaches (!) and ne’er a hansom cab to be seen!

“An outrage!” I spluttered, and yet…and yet…and yet…
As I watched further, I confess that I was strangely drawn to this novel adaptation: the writing was admirably crisp, the pace devilishly swift, and Mrs Hudson was a revelation! (I confess it, I rather admired “the cut of her jib”).
I may yet, in fact, be tempted to watch further episodes. Never let it be said, therefore, that the Blogbrarian is not a chap who “moves with the times”.

I shall, naturally, be checking the veracity of each storyline by re-reading some of the Holmes novels, thankfully available via the medium of Bexley’s splendid library service. I would urge you to do likewise, dear readers, and to post any of your musings using the “comments” facility clearly marked below.

TTFN

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The modern Holmes has kept the atmosphere of the original. He is every bit as annoying/brilliant as his predecessor while the solid friend Watson is left to face the evil villain All this builds up to a nail biting climax with Sherlock racing to the rescue in his modern handsom/taxi cab. Only one more episode. Let's hope the BBC will commision a second series.

Judith said...

A great adaptation! Witty, rather cheeky, thoroughly updated - so is Conan Doyle spinning or grinning in his grave? I'd like to think he's grinning - there's enough wit and cheek in the originals to make one think he'd approve of the twenty-first century version.

pauline said...

I have and am enjoying it.
He transfers well to modern day as he was obviously the first forensic scientist and profiler.
Dr Watson is also good , probably more of his equal in some areas , ex army doctor so knows how to look after himself .
Mrs Hudson is played by Una Stubbs and she is a laugh !!

Anonymous said...

Sherlock is a great idea but I must admit to it being a bit of a missed opportunity. The producers seemed to have copied the lead of the latest Dr Who series and tried to embellish the already offbeat character we all know and love with even more totally unneccessary oddness. It really has dumbed down the whole thing. The script seems to have been written by a Big Brother contender! Am I in a minority of one?

Blogbrary said...

Dear Anonymous…
(Or may I call you…Ron, perhaps?...)
Thank you for your comments. Yes, I fear that you may well be in a minority of one, certainly according to the findings of the Blogbrary’s extensive market research team.
But never fear! – The books are still here, and lots of them are available in Bexley’s libraries. Read on.
TTFN

Ann said...

I enjoy all versions of Sherlock Holmes from the great Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes with his bubbling Dr Watson, Nigel Bruce to the wonderful Jeremy Brett versions in the 80's/90's. I particularly enjoyed Sherlock, especially the last one that weaved the traditional Secret Weapon story with the updated meeting with Moriarty. If you want to fill in the gaps even more then why not try the Laurie R King books that carry on the Sherlock Holmes stories into his retirement, and marriage to an American heiress. Beleive me, King captures the voice of Conan Doyle very well. Bexley has just got the newest one The Language of Bees, and I can't wait to start it.